Architecturally, Whithorn, with its two-storeyed town houses
and wide main street, comes as something of a surprise, after
the visitor has passed through the traditional strip villages
of Sorbie and Kirkinner, and through the countryside dotted
with single cottages and groups of farm buildings...(more).
When one enters Garlieston , one quickly meets the seafront
and experiences the beauty of Garlieston Bay. Ahead is the wooded
headland of Eggerness, the site of an ancient camp with rock
carvings, enclosing the bay with a rocky shoreline to the East
and a sandy beach to the North...(more).
It would be easy for the traveller to miss the significance
of Sorbie, even its speed limit, on the main Newton Stewart
to Whithorn road. But, like Kirkinner, Sorbie is a mid-seventeenth
century amalgamation of medieval parishes : of Sorbie, Kirkmadrine
and Cruggleton, and it became the economic and social centre
for a prosperous farming area...(more).
Monreith village is situated 2 miles south-east of the harbour
village of Port William and lies on Monreith Bay, looking out
over Luce bay and on to the Rhinns of Galloway...(more).
The Village of Port William, along with the harbour, dates from
around 1770. Previous to that date, there had been a few houses,
most likely inhabited by fishermen, around the mouth of the
Killantrae Burn which runs into the sea at this point...(more).
For years visitors have come to the Isle to behold the picture
postcard view that has made a fortune for film manufacturers
and the holiday snap business...(more).